As the year winds down, are you feeling a little winded?
It’s only natural when you consider what your body endures this time of year: adjusting to the time change, surviving cold and flu season, hitting the stores at 4 a.m. for doorbuster deals, and then there are all the holiday parties and family get-togethers….
Before you reach for a double shot of espresso or a sugar fix, (followed by the inevitable crash) consider these natural ways to give your body a boost.
1. Multivitamins are especially important this time of year when many of us are caught up in the hustle and bustle of the season may not be eating as well as we normally do. Multivitamins help ensure that we obtain important nutrients such as: B vitamins and chromium for energy and metabolism, antioxidant and immunity supporting vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, selenium and zinc.
2. Adaptogenic Herbs such as ginseng, ashwagandha, and rhodiola help your body manage stress. So if the holidays have you feeling tired and frazzled, adaptogens might be the “pick-me-up” you need.
3. Protein helps keep blood sugar levels balanced and energy levels steady so try to eat lean protein at every meal or snack. Focus on plant-based sources like nuts, quinoa, or soy product like tofu.
4. B-complex supplements supply a broad range of B vitamins in higher doses than most multivitamins for those times you need a little extra boost.
5. Vitamin D is important for immunity and overall health. Yet it is often lacking in many people during the fall and winter months when days are shorter and there is less sunlight for the body to make it.
6. Magnesium is essential for muscle function including your heart. It can also help you relax and sleep—something we don’t get enough of this time of year. Try 250 – 400 mg at bedtime.
And finally, find a block of time at least once a week to relax and rejuvenate with whatever helps you unwind—a massage, bubble bath, or a good book.
For more natural ways to keep your energy levels up, see Natural and Safe Fatigue Fighters to Boost Your Energy, Fast!