If you need a pick me up, drinking a cup of coffee probably isn’t the worst habit in the world. It does contain antioxidants, and there’s some research that it might even have health benefits. Overloading yourself with caffeine, such as from energy drinks or an entire pot of coffee … now that’s a different story.
Too much caffeine can lead to heart problems, stroke, anxiety and caffeine toxicity, plus as soon as its effects wear off, you’ll be tired again. So what’s a tired person in need of some quick energy to do? Try these caffeine-free energy boosters:
1. Chew mint gum: This increases your heart rate, which in turn will increase blood flow to your brain. As your autonomic nervous system becomes stimulated, you’ll become more alert. The mint in gum is also a pick me up.
2. Eat whole grains: Whole grains are good fuel for your body, and because they take longer to digest, they’ll provide longer lasting energy without the crash associated with refined carbs.
3. Turn on the light: Light signals to your brain that it’s time to wake up and be alert (this is why it’s a good idea to keep the lights off at night). A walk outside in bright sunshine is an excellent way to perk up.
4. Turn on energizing music: A peppy song will have you dancing and grooving to the beat. You’ll be having so much fun you’ll forget you were ever tired.
5. Learn something new: Engaging your brain with an intriguing bit of new information is a simple way to feel more energized. Try listening to a podcast, for instance.
6. Massage your ears: This little-known trick helps you wake u because of the acupressure meridians that line your outer ear. Try gently pinching or rubbing your outer ears for 30 seconds to prompt blood flow and stimulate your mind.
7. Drink a glass of water: Dehydration, even if it’s mild, can make you feel drowsy and sluggish. In addition to drinking about eight glasses of water a day, drinking a glass of water when you’re drowsy can help you feel more alert.
8. Address your posture: Slouching can make you feel sluggish while sitting and standing with proper posture allows for proper blood flow and subsequent alertness.
For more tips, try these additional natural and safe fatigue fighters to boost your energy, fast. If you’re excessively tired or find that you’re tired every day, however, these tricks aren’t likely to cut it in the long run. Ultimately, the best solution for fatigue is to get more high-quality sleep.